In light of the World Health Organisation’s (WHO) declaration that the monkeypox outbreak is “a global health emergency”, the health ministry has warned all the provincial governments to keep a watch out for any suspected monkeypox cases.

Minister for Health Abdul Qadir Patel on Sunday said that the government has decided to increase surveillance.

“All the national and provincial health authorities have been advised to remain on high alert for any suspected case of monkeypox,” Patel said in a statement. “Instructions have been issued to stakeholders, especially border health services for strict monitoring at all points of entry.”

RELATED STORIES

ADVERTISEMENT

He said that at all ports of entry, an efficient surveillance system had been built on a scientific foundation. All incoming travellers would be subject to screening, especially those from African nations, he added.

On July 23, WHO declared the monkeypox outbreak a global health emergency. WHO now sees this virus as a significant enough threat that a global response is needed to prevent it from spreading.