A man accidentally set fire to his flat after a romantic gesture he had planned to propose to his girlfriend went wrong.
According to South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, the man wanted to ask his partner in a room “filled with hundreds of tea lights”, balloons and a bottle of wine. But he left the candles burning while he went to pick her up from work. When he returned he found his flat burning in flames.
He and his girlfriend thankfully managed to escape the fire unharmed.
Three fire engines were sent to the home above a newsagent in Sheffield on Monday night.
The fire service in a series of Tweets described the incident and wrote in one of the Tweets, “As a bonus, she said YES!