Prime Minister (PM) Imran Khan on Monday slammed the Narendra Modi-led Indian government for its continued silence on the “hate speech” conclave, which called for the genocide of Muslims in India.
Last month, leaders from several far-right groups in India had issued calls for the ethnic cleansing of minorities in the country, especially targeting its 200 million-strong Muslim population.
Prime minister in a series of tweets on Twitter said, “The continuing silence of Modi govt on the call at an extremist Hindutva summit in December for the genocide of minorities in India, especially the 200 million Muslim community.”
He said the “extremist ideology” of the ruling BJP government was behind the provocations against India’s minorities.
“The extremist agenda of the Modi govt is a real and present threat to peace in our region,” tweeted PM Khan.
He urged the international community to take notice of the calls and act against them.
As the premier tweeted, the Supreme Court of India decided to take up a case related to the hate speeches, including open calls for genocide made at the conclave, NDTV reported.
“We will take up the matter,” Chief Justice of India NV Ramana said, as quoted by the media outlet.
According to Time of India, as many as 200,000 Muslims gathered in the Bareilly city last week and offered themselves what they called “mass sacrifice” in protest against the hate speeches.