In what is being termed as a major win for the country amid reports that the new coronavirus can be fatal for the elderly, a 64-year-old infected man in Karachi has been discharged from the hospital following complete recovery, government officials have confirmed.
Journalist Omar Qureshi had on Thursday tweeted that a 64-year-old suffering from coronavirus in Pakistan had recovered.
The tweet had come after reports said that a second patient infected with the COVID-19 had been discharged from the hospital.
Sindh government spokesperson Murtaza Wahab confirmed the development, saying that the 64-year-old had tested negative and sent back home.
Provincial health officials had on Wednesday said the second coronavirus patient in Karachi was recovering and would be discharged soon if his condition improved further.
The resident of the port city’s Kharadar neighbourhood was admitted to Civil Hospital on February 29. According to the hospital administration, further tests were conducted on Wednesday and were sent to the lab. “The patient would be discharged if the test results are negative,” the hospital administration had added.
The family members of COVID-19 patient were also tested the day he contracted the virus. However, the results were negative.
Earlier, the first coronavirus patient was discharged from the hospital after full recovery.
The patient was in isolation and treatment for the past 10 days and was tested three times.
The young patient, who is believed to have contracted the virus in the Iranian holy city of Qum, was diagnosed on February 26 and subsequently shifted to the isolation ward of a private hospital. He had travelled to the Islamic Republic in a group of 28 pilgrims.