New Zealand’s whole tour of Pakistan has been abandoned due to security concerns.
“Earlier today, New Zealand Cricket informed us they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” said the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) in a statement.
“Pakistan Cricket Board and Pakistan Government made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams. We have assured the New Zealand Cricket of the same. The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team,” said the statement.
“The security officials with the New Zealand team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Pakistan Government throughout their stay here,” it added.
The statement concluded, “PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal.”
The Black Caps reached Pakistan on September 11 and were set to play three ODIs and five T20Is. Spectators outside the stadium were set to enter the when the first ODI between the teams was called off just a few minutes before the toss.
Meanwhile, a sports journalist Elliot Smith has shared a statement that arrangements for the departure of NZ team are now being made.