A Scottish woman was shocked when her washing machine exploded mid-cycle, damaging her kitchen.

The woman, Laura Birrell shared pictures of her destroyed kitchen on Facebook to serve as a warning to others. The businesswoman from Glasgow said her washing machine “literally exploded” mid-cycle, filling her kitchen with smoke. 

Photos shared by Ms Birrell showed that the kitchen top above the machine was apparently blown apart by the force of the explosion. The machine was also badly damaged.


“I have often heard don’t leave your washing machine on when you leave the house,” she wrote. “Well, today I am glad that I did not go out anywhere as my machine literally exploded.”

“With a glass sink drainer unit I thought I bomb had gone off, glass everywhere,” she added.

She further wrote, “Fortunately I was in as smoke started to appear so I quickly switched it off. I will never leave washing in again when I am out.”

A spokesman of Whirlpool was quoted as saying by Metro: “Our thoughts are with the residents affected by this incident, and we are investigating the situation.