A 30-year-old woman, who was allegedly raped and later stabbed in front of her 14-month-old son, passed away after struggling for her life in the District Headquarters (DHQ) Hospital on Sunday.

As per reports, the victim’s son Gulfam was also stabbed at the crime scene. He also passed away.

Police filed a case against the suspect under relevant sections of the law involving rape/murder and a search operation has been launched to arrest him.


On Saturday at around 12:30 pm, the victim, her son, brother, and uncle Mohammad Ramzan reached Chak Beli Bazaar for begging in the area.

In the FIR, the victim’s brother stated that they met a man (suspect). His sister already knew him and he offered to take her and her son to Mohra village.

The complainant said that he was worried when his sister and her son did not return after a long time. He started looking for them and found them lying injured in the Mohra area.

The victim told her brother that she was sexually assaulted by the suspect.  The suspect also tried to kill her by stabbing her in the neck with a knife, which left her seriously injured. She said the suspect also stabbed her son and fled away.

The complainant said he and his uncle were taking the injured mother and son to a nearby hospital in Rawalpindi, but Gulfam died on the way. The body of the 14-month-old boy was handed over to his relatives after postmortem on Saturday.  The mother who was struggling for her life in the emergency ward of DHQ Hospital and breathed her last on Sunday.

Initial postmortem report shows that the woman’s neck injuries were the cause of her death whereas forensic analysis was being carried out to determine if she was raped.

The investigating officer said the victim originally belonged to Vehari and was unable to record her statement due to her critical injuries.

After the incident came to light, Station House Officer Mohammad Asif, SI Yasir Mehmood, who is investigating the incident, and other senior police officers reached the spot and collected evidence and other relevant information.

Police have arrested the suspect identified as Wajid Ali on Tuesday.